Monday, June 22, 2009

Hello friends,

I am done collecting my stem cells. The past two weeks, I've had to go to the Huntsman every day for lab work and shots, the shots are for getting my bone marrow to start producing stem cells for collection (high volume of cells).

Since chemo is hard on my body, I can't create very many cells very fast, so after the first week (Of getting 3 shots a day, these where in my arms) you move to what is called "Hard to Mobilize".

Then they double the amount of the drug they give you (I cant' spell it correctly, neupragin) so that means, 2 shots in the morning (be there at 7:00 am), then back to the hospital by 8:00 pm for 6 shots, all 8 in my stomach, I have some very nice, big bruises.
I had a great Fathers day present, when they called said I had collected enough and didn't have to have any more shots.

The collection process is very interesting. They hook me up to a machine (with tubes going all over the place)that pulls out my blood and mixes it with an anti-coagulate. Then it spins by blood, the blood separtes into stems cells, red cells, etc. The machine is then able to pull off (collect) my stem cells and put them in a bag. Then the machine heats my blood back up to body temp and gives me back to me. The machine runs for about 4 1/2 hours, it goes through 30 liters of blood, that means my entire blood stream went through the machine about 7 times each day.
They then take the stem cells, and they freeze them slow down to about minus 200 F. Where they can hold them forever if necessary. They will unfreeze them when its time for my transplant, another month or so.

Now, we wait for all my platelets, white and red cell counts to come up, and then I can have my 4th round of chemo. If my tumor keeps shrinking, my dr. wants to do 1 or 2 more treatmes (chemo) then the 4 she orginally planned on.

I'm feeling good. Things are progressing along. The Lord continues to bless my family and me.

I've meet some really tough people going through their own fight with cancer. I don't have any room to complain. Their courage and strength helps me keep moving on. I've been blessed with great nurses and dr who help me laugh and keep moving forward.
I'm very grateful for you and your support in helping me keep moving forward. With all these great people, it helps me stay positive.

I can never repay you. I can't say thanks enough.
Remember, keep smiling, people wonder what your up to.
If this doesn't make any sense, it’s because all my hair fell out and I can't think straight.

Stew

1 comment:

bballisbob said...

Stew, your a great example and I appreciate your outlook. 7 rotations of your blood through your body, dude, your regenerating yourself, literally huh? Keep the faith and smile. God bless you and your family. We'll be watching. Bob